View Single Post

Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Liked 321 Times in 151 Posts

.22 rifle - your choice of type but should be accurate. I prefer a bolt action.

22 pistol -Again your choice but should be accurate. 4 inch 22 revolver a good choice in my mind.

Shotgun for home defense and hunting - 12 or 20 gauge both work

Centerfire rifle preferably chambered for a cartridge that you can hunt with. In a limited battery I'd consider either an AR in 308 or a Ruger Scout Rifle. Both are versatile. I would prefer having both good iron sights and an optic. I enjoy hunting too much to use an AR for a hunting rifle because it is not pleasing to my tastes but it will certainly work and do double duty for hunting and protection. Ruger Scout does the same and is my preference bc I like bolt guns even though not as good if you had to fight with it. An argument can be made for a 223 but it isn't optimal for a hunting rifle. If I had to hunt to eat I don't want to potentially lose dinner because I couldn't find the animal I had shot. 223 makes tracking a whole lot harder if animal doesn't drop at the shot.

Good quality medium size DA revolver or semi auto handgun. .357 is a good choice bc it will do double duty for hunting / field gun, home defense and carry. Nothing wrong w a 44 or 45 caliber revolver other than harder to conceal. No flies on any good quality semi in a good chambering. 45 makes a better field gun than 9mm. I've carried concealed N frame 4 inch revolvers and they are better field guns than a 357 or a semi. Since I handload I can make low recoil target loads, medium defense loads as well as heavier field loads. If I had to scrounge ammo I'd go w a 9mm though. I like 1911s and BHPs but I won't quivel if you want a Glock or a DA semi S&W. Handgun must be 100 reliable bc it is your last ditch firearm that should always be carried or if sleeping bathing etc be w in reach.

That seems like a sensible minimum to me. If I had to I could go w less but I'd prefer more. Cut me down to 2 and I'd pick a 44 or 45 caliber lever gun and DA revolver. A 22 rifle and handgun would be lighter to carry but a 22 isn't a self defense stopper even though the lighter weight of firearms and ammo is a big plus. A shotgun and pistol would work but I'm not that good w a shotgun and prefer longer range ability of a good rifle.