View Single Post

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,472 Times in 10,045 Posts

When I first put the scopes on the rifles, I remove the bolt and then using my rest and a mark at about 50 yds center the bore on the mark then center the scope on the mark cross checking bore and scope. Then when I get to the range I cover a target stand with wrapping paper and mark the center. Then its easy to find the first hit. Bore sighting it is usually not to bad then zero it there. Then move to 100 yds. Get my 3.5 inches and check it at 200, 300 and some at 400. Sometimes I fire for effect at the 600 yd plate.

I am confident I could kill an elk at 350 yds with the little 308. I one shot killed a muley buck at that range with it. Great situation though. I was sitting on a hill side with an adjustable forked steady stick. Buck followed a bunch of does out and they were crossing in front of me. Buck kept stopping and looking back as my brother was walking the area he came from. When buck was right across from me he stopped and I held a bit over his back and nailed him. I have taken a lot of game with that little 18" barreled Remington 600. Easy to carry around, barrel doesn't snag on brush, if my head clears it clears. Ya I give up about 150fps but I can deal with that. But, once I was out walking a ridge in elk country. Spotted a really nice bull at about 500 yds. There was a bit of wind blowing a little snow. I wasn'tt confident I could make the shot with the 308 and put him down at that range. Backed off the ridge, went down a was and came out on another finger that would have put me closer, but no elk to be seen. Decided to buy a 338WM. Would have taken the 500 yd shot with it. Less wind drift. Less drop. With 3.5" high at 100yds, 30" over the back at 500 would stick one in the boiler room of an elk. From spine to bottom of heart is some leeway on aim and range estimation and those 225 gr bullets are still packing some power. As good as a 308 at 200yds.

My 22 rifles all have 1" tube 4X scopes. I start zeroing them with little rocks on the berm right behind the 50 yd line, then check the elevation all the way down to 10 yds in 10 yd increments.

I had a scope on my 338WM with a turret set up. When hunting I never had the time to take off the turret cover, check the range finder, turn the turret. It could happen in the right circumstance though. With prairie dogs it would be excellent. But, I am pretty good at range estimation, then it is knowing my rifles ballistics and my abilities. I almost always carry an adjustable fork support anymore. I am thinking of making a sturdier one that I can also use for a walking stick.

Need I mention that hunting season is coming up. Big game rifle starts here about the 20th of October and ends the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I have 4 deer tags and 2 elk tags. There are elk shoulder seasons going on now and lasting till end of January.

Taking the step daughters out this year 12 and 13. They can hunt under the apprentice program here and get to start hunting 2 days before regular season. The hay meadow below my brothers place has an old shack on it. Wait there with them a while and a whitetail will wander out for some lunch.

Last edited by steelslaver; 09-09-2018 at 06:33 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: