View Single Post

Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

I am increasingly more in love with two different types of fancy stocks; a particular jigged bone pattern, and properly aged Dalbergia Nigra, aka Brazilian Rosewood.

As to the Jigged Bone, my best example is on my favorite Colt:

I just love this pattern. I would love to find this particular pattern for a S&W, but I just haven't managed to find a good example yet. I have one set, but it's super weird. They are extremely corrosive and I don't know why. When I put them on a gun they will rust the mainspring so bad it will snap.

I also quite like my 3rd or 4th favorite Colt (I'm not sure how to rank them, I *really* like shooting my King/Roper equipped Camp Perry model, and I love my CM McCutcheon factory modified Bisley).

This is a Christy conversion of some antique SAAs to .22lr. Equipped with Micro sights ranged with some notches in the front ramp. It weighs a ton, is an absolute dream to shoot, and I love the look of it. With the jigged bone on there, and all it's proto-single six ness, it's just peak 1950 to me.

As to rosewood.

This is where my virtual pre-war kit gun comes in.

followed closely by my two sets of non-relieved factory stocks. One for a K Frame, one for an N frame. On a 1958 pre-model 17, and a 1960 5" Model 27 respectively:

Don't get me wrong about ivory, I like that too, it's just so hard for me to acquire that I only have some few nice examples:

Elephant:

Walrus:
The Following 10 Users Like Post: