View Single Post

Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Liked 15,514 Times in 6,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post
I appreciate all of the feedback and as I suspected, getting into loading has a many different paths as Carters has pills.....only us old guys will get that reference.

The listings are being offered locally for sale and I have always had an itch to load to stay busy and be able to have ammo on demand. Not looking to save money or find the cheapest way to get started, just seeing if I could get started easy enough and if there a kit that one could acquire to lower the learning curve and keep from winding up with an accumulation of things from another failed hobby.

The caliber I get started with is not an issue, and 9mm seemed like a place to start as opposed to any other caliber since I shoot amything from .22 to .500.

As helpful as this has been, I think I will continue to just buy factory ammo for now....I am one of those people that figure if I can do it small why not do it big......and I looked up that Dillon 650. Then I looked at the Dillon 1050 with all the bells and whistles and figure I am on a slippery slope so best to step back from the edge and simply buy my ammo......or, simply go big.

A Dillon 1050 along with a Mr Bullet Feeder and ammo bot rev3 set up in .223 is available in my area for 2600 dollars....what could go wrong by now spending 10 fold to get into loading........

Never understood why folks feel they need to go BIG or expensive or fast? The price of just a simple press is insignificant to the overall scheme of things. One can always use a simple single stage or turret press. So you have a $150 invested in it, but then want to spend over $800 on some elaborate set up and do not even know if reloading is "right for you" The buy once, cry once cliche is not a valid statement.

9mm is not a good caliber to start with. It is relatively cheap right now so not worth it.

Start with a more expensive caliber like 45 ACP or 357, 44 Mag or whatever you shoot.