View Single Post

Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Liked 2,080 Times in 388 Posts

Just discovered this thread and it's filled with interesting comments. Hope mine's interesting too!

Last summer I served on a jury in a city in Central Texas with a population in excess of one million people. Third time called, first time selected to serve, it was an education and a half and left me with an even deeper appreciation for law enforcement professionals. The charge against the defendant was capital murder as the victim was shot, and killed, during a robbery.

The victim was shot once as he was getting up off a couch and the bullet entered on an angle as if he was shot from above. The projectile broke the third rib from the top upon entry and then traveled on a more-or-less straight path through the entirety of the left lung coming to rest near the lower lumbar area. The victim, a male well over six feet tall and over two hundred pounds, fell, lost consciousness, and died on the way to the emergency room.

When they passed the empty cartridge case around the jury box, the only one recovered from the crime scene, it was a Remington nickel-plated .380 and I assume it may have been a Golden Sabre but the bullet was not further identified in court. The firearm was not recovered and was alleged to have been disposed of in a nearby lake. The only thing that was certain was that this large, young, man was killed by a single shot with a .380 and at that point I ceased any temptation to think the .380 wasn't adequate for defensive tasks. And by the way; I don't own one.

Last edited by TXBryan; 09-12-2018 at 11:40 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: