Thread: 357 Hunting?
View Single Post

Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHands View Post
Both pills you recommended are great loads. However, I'd use the 180gr "Keiths" that you recommended for bear hunting for deer as well. That large flat Meplate busts thru bone like no other and crushes soft tissue so well and superior to any Hollow Point I've ever tried; that a Hard Cast Keith is all I use in the woods and for defense and hunting now. YMMV of course.

Ol' Elmer found that a Meplate of 65-70% of the original bullet diameter stays nose forward when plowing thru bone, tissue, sinew, and gives outstanding terminal results.

Nothing wrong with a nice .357 for woods protection/hunting. I just can't seem to shoot them well. And after trying to shoot them well for 20 years I've decided it is an anomaly since I shoot virtually every other handgun caliber exquisitely!

So my Woods Gun is an M29 with Underwood's 255 grain Hard Cast Keith @ 1000fps in the South East. I'm experimenting with Underwood's 305 grain Long Nose "Keith" Hard Cast rated @ 1325fps as of recent in anticipation of a Pacific North West river fishing trip with buddies in the future. Both would/will put the big hurt on a brown bear but I feel more comfortable with the heavier hard cast @ 1300fps.
I AGREE---BUT IIRC,THERE ARE CERTAIN FIREARMS THAT ARE DEEMED UNSUITABLE FOR SHOOTING THIS LOAD. IT VERY WELL MAY BE THAT IT WOULD NOT BE SAFE TO FIRE IT IN AN OLDER M29.....