View Single Post

Old 09-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Liked 1,270 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillydruggist View Post
rifle for sabots?
smooth for fosters?
About 26+ years ago, Bucks Co. in PA went to slugs. With 5 hunters ( myself, Wife, Brother and 2 nephews ) we went with Moss 500, rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount, 3X9 Bushnell, went with Winchester Supreme, 3", 12 ga. Accuracy was excellent 3 shot groups under 2" or better @ 100 yds depending on the shooter. It excelled in accuracy, but expansion was variable. I prefer the moss 500 over the Maverick 88- overall better quality, obviously they are siblings, but friends have had minor problems which we did not see with the Moss 500's. There are many excellent loads Remington, Federal, Winchester currently available, find out which one shoots best in your gun. Also invest in a PAST recoil pad $20-25 for zeroing off the bench. I like using a scope, a inexpensive Bushnell variable will take a pounding. I used to buy ammo by the case with 5 shooters + 5+ doe tags available. Farmers ( Uncle) were happy, friends & Church were happy since everyone had venison. Smooth bore- you can do it, but the Rifled barrel and Sabots gives you a distinct accuracy advantage. Be Safe.