View Single Post

Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Well, the FedEx guy just dropped off my repaired Model 442-1. It is back from the mothership exactly 20 days after I sent it in... less than 3 weeks turn-around including shipping.

The repair documents indicate that S&W replaced the sear and the sear spring. It also indicates that it was tested for function and apparently passed.

Obviously, the first thing I checked was see if they had fixed the lock-up problem and it appears that they did. I won't be 100% sure until I take it to the range and do a lot more dry firing, but a fair amount of dry firing over the last hour failed to recreate the issue or any hint of it.

Cosmetically, my "brand new factory fresh" gun took a bit of a hit. Disappointing for an anal retentive old fool like me, but not unexpected and not the end of the world. I'll replace the buggered-up screws and live with the rest. It could have been worse.

Overall, S&W CS did their thing and they did it quickly and successfully. The warranty worked... and that's about all one can ask for short of better quality control before the guns leave the factory.

This was my first brand new S&W revolver in 35 years and the only one that ever had to go back for a warranty repair. Lesson learned. I think I'll stick with the old stuff.

Will I keep this gun now? Or trade it for something else? I'll have to let you know somewhere down the road.
Good deal OP. Call Smith up tomorrow morning; tell them what happened and nicely request they send you new replacement yoke and sideplate screws (or whichever one(s) they used the wrong driver size for. I'm positive they will put them in the mail for you tomorrow!
The Following User Likes This Post: