Thread: "truck" Gun
View Single Post

Old 09-19-2018, 01:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7,879 Times in 2,832 Posts

I get that there are times when we don't have a choice and we have to leave a gun in our car while we go into an NPE (hopefully you lock the gun in a lock box) but storing your gun long-term in a car is asking for it to get stolen.

I read something from Cornered Cat last week. She was talking about the dichotomy between thinking that your house is so secure that you can leave guns randomly stashed through out the house BUT but it's so unsecure that you won't have time to retrieve the gun from a fast access safe if somebody tries to break in.

This is the same dichotomy. If your world is so dangerous that you need a backup gun or rifle and extra ammunition and a plate carrier in your car then it's way too dangerous to be leaving that stuff in there unsecured.

I have yet to hear a reputable trainer (James Yeager doesn't count) advocate long term storage of a gun in your car. In fact most of them warn against it.

Criminals do criminal things. It's what they do, that's why we have locks on our doors. That's why we keep our guns in safes (when they're not in use) and that's why we don't do stupid things and make it easy for criminals to get guns.