Thread: 460 vs 500
View Single Post

Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 AM

Liked 96 Times in 43 Posts

It’s interesting how old threads get revived, and I found several comments equally interesting. I own both a .460 and a .500. I originally bought them just for target use and out of curiosity, but thought I might use them for hogs as a backup gun to my rifle.

I shoot them maybe once or twice a month at my outdoor range and haven’t found them that expensive to shoot because after one box of ammo my wrists, ears and arms start telling me “gee how about a break.” I stick to factory ammo mainly because I don’t want the warranty issues that come with reloads.

I think they are both great guns, but I haven’t been able to use either of them for anything other than as single shot pistols without losing acceptable accuracy on follow ups. My hunting consists only of whitetail deer and hog extermination when necessary. I think given my skill set, the prospects of wounding a deer with a pistol rather than getting a knock down are too high, so I use oddly a Ruger precision .308 and generally don’t have to go tracking and dragging the dead carcass of a deer in the middle of the night out of the woods. I am nearly 67 YO and that just ain’t as easy as it used to be. Generally, when I shoot a deer now, it is found within 50 feet of the point of impact. Part of that is due to the fact I will let a deer walk unless I get a kill shot profile.

If I was to pick a .500 or a .460 for versatility, I would pick the .460 because the power of that gun can be dumbed down for self defense, and I can handle follow ups with the .454 Casull or 45LC. But I don’t use one for that purpose even in my house because of limited capacity. That said, I would never EDC one because of weight, the fact they are overpowered for SD and the risk of collateral damage. My preferred handgun for SD is a 5.7 with green tip ammo because I can shoot it accurately and very quickly. (I know many going to disagree with me on that, but I got a thick skin and won’t be offended)

I can see either the 460 or 500 being good last ditch defense guns for bear or an angry hog because time is probably only going to allow one shot at close range, so it might as well be one that can be a stopper. Never been to Africa, but either gun would probably stop an 800 pound gorilla I suppose.

Now, that said, I think both the 500 and 460 have made me a better shooter when I’m handling my 45ACP or 5.7 pistols. The reason being, anybody handling either the 500 or 460 is quickly going to learn the skill set of locking hands, wrists and arms, and managing recoil. If you think about it, after shooting a 500 or 460, and managing that recoil without flinching, at least for me, I don’t even notice recoil when I shoot my other pistols. That means when I am shooting quickly all my rounds, up to 50 feet away, generally are within the target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Like Post: