View Single Post

Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 5,052 Posts

Some folks will hate the analogy I'm about to use, but I think it helps make the point. Instead of S&W 915, picture in your mind a 1986 Pontiac Firebird. Now I'm not talking about a GTA or even a Formula, I'm talking base model, low end.

Continue to imagine if you will, the car: condition is mint, low miles, everything works as if brand new and interior is in top shape. You even have the window sticker and all documents including promotional brochures and advertisements.

Now... the current year is 1989. It's an '86 Pontiac. I would suggest that you drive it, commute with it, take the kids for ice cream. It's a car, it has a lot of utility and it didn't cost a fortune and it isn't rare and won't win any races.

Okay, still with me?
SAME CAR, same condition, everything is the same except now the year is 2018 and the retro and collectible car market has evolved over the last 20yrs in a way that nobody would have predicted.

This '86 base model Firechicken is definitely NOT a 1970 Plymouth SuperBird but are you gonna tell me that you should take this mint car with almost no miles and original everything in perfect shape and slog this sucker through your winter commute hell?

It's just a damn car, drive it, it isn't collectibke yadda yadda yadda....

I wouldn't do that. Not sure why anyone would.

I'm not saying you should take a 2nd mortgage out and drop $10k on an '86 Firebird... I'm saying if you HAVE one and it is dead mint in 2018, that sucker is collectible and somebody would love to buy it from you in that condition.

Much like a 915 that's ANIB now or 5-10-20 years from now.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: