View Single Post

Old 09-20-2018, 10:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 797 Times in 282 Posts

I've been collecting S&W 3rd Gen autos since 2007. I'm in Southern California where prices for 3rd Gens have been rising steadily. Keep in mind that here in California we don't have a glut caused by pistols "re-imported from service and duty use in foreign lands" or LE turn-ins.

I saw my first 915 in 2008. It was offered on consignment sitting next to a 910. I knew the shop owner pretty well and he allowed me field strip them side by side for a comparison. Oh my, there was no real comparison at all. The 915 is truly a 3rd Gen with a few corners cut. The 910 is a true Value Line pistol, plastic sights, squared box contours and all. The 915 was 98% no box. That's the way I like my 3rd Gens so I don't feel bad about shooting them, but they're still really nice to look at. I bought it.

The next few 915s I saw were dinged up, maybe 85-90%. I passed on those. Then in 2017, I saw one on consignment around 98-99% no box. I bought that one. I now have two.

Like most black alloy frame pistols, they will show every little scratch and ding. The finish on the slide does not seem as durable as that on my 6904 or 4014. I keep my pristine 915s in soft cases that go to the range and then come home, no holster or rough handling, that's the way I protect their condition. HTH