Thread: Zero bullets
View Single Post

Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Liked 3,029 Times in 1,261 Posts

The Remington (not Hornady, I found the box and another ~50) are .4295 - .430 whereas I measure the Zero's at .430 - .4305. I was surprised that with both you can actually feel the variation as you spin the bullet in the caliper. For perfection it might not hurt to run both through a sizer.

However, I can't seem to find my sizer. I wanted to try running a couple through the Lube Sizer before ordering the Lee sizer. I did find the Remington bullets, 300 or so more probably once fired Midway 44 Mag casings and several hundred assorted cast 44s that still need to be lubed and sized, some needing gas checks. I also found my very old Lyman single stage press, the spare parts for my RCBS measure and the *** (a less than complementary acronym got bleeped) Lee progressive press, but no sizer. Darn!
--------------------
Update: Went back and looked some more. It wasn't my old Lyman press, it was the lube sizer. First off, the lube sizer isn't kind to the soft lead bullet tips especially the Remington. It did knock the Zero bullets down to .429 -.4295 and did seem to make them more concentric. I guess I'll give the Lee sizer a try.

I guess now that I have my lube sizer out I may as well do up all of the old cast wheel weight bullets I've found grubbing around. I found a couple of hundred on this last search and probably another 1500 I found in the attic a week or so ago (found a modest stash of wheel weights too). And yep, I found enough Tamarak 50% Alox lube to get er done.

It should be obvious by now that I mostly got out of reloading for awhile, except for a bunch of store bought cast 45ACP.

Last edited by oink; 09-23-2018 at 08:11 PM.