Thread: New 329pd
View Single Post

Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 AM

Liked 9,331 Times in 3,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
The rear sight is still the "V" and the front the red fiber optic. The FO is nice and bright and I like it. The only concern I have on FO is from limited past experience, I think they can be fragile, and for that reason I've always shied away from them.
The Hi-Viz seem more rugged than some others (SDM, etc). They also present a fairly square outline so I changed out the V-notch blade (don't really like them either) with a .196" square notch rear sight blade, which I like better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
The rubber ones that came with it have slight finger grooves, and cover the grip frame. I had almost ordered a set of X frame grips prior to taking possession, no need, S&W must've realized it made sense to include at least something similar.
The factory rubber grips do cover the backstrap but they're not flat; too pointed for me which hurts my thumb bone.

I like the X-grips but I prefer to keep them for my X-frame revolvers. I like the Pachmayr Diamond Pro's, as a compromise size, but they still offer plenty of cushion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Vette View Post
I've had a 329 NG on a sort of wish list... but am leery of the recoil.
I'd rather have the SS cylinder I think than the Sc for not only the recoil but also 'cause I've heard the Sc cylinders are impossible to get all the way clean without ruining the coating from the factory.
I believe you misspoke? The 329NG comes with a steel cylinder (27.4oz.).
If you meant a 329PD they have a Ti cylinder. The Titanium cylinders do require a milder touch in cleaning them.

For the same reasons you mentioned I replaced my 329PD's Ti cylinder as soon as I got it home. I had replaced the fluted Ss cylinder on my 629-6 with an unfluted cylinder and I used it (fluted Ss) to replace the Ti cylinder. That added 3.6 ozs to the 329PD's (25.2 -> 28.6 oz.) weight. Works for me.