View Single Post

Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Liked 1,609 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwt1405 View Post
You do understand that it is possible to get a "lemon" in anything, right?......

.....sorry if I don't "buy into" your assessment of the 642.....

.....Certainly do as you please, but IMHO, you are making some decisions with "flawed" information.
Of course I understand it could have been just a LEMON. However in my opinion if you are going to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense then you have to practice with it with the ammo that you carry. And that is what I've done.

Again, I still feel that the 642 is a great carry gun however now that I've owned & carried one, I have determined that i am not a fan of lightweight aluminum alloy framed revolvers. The finish is showing wear, the frame is taking a beating from opening/closing the cylinder and overall I'm just not convinced that it can handle a lifetime of use. This is something that a rented 642 for 30 minutes at the shop cannot demonstrate.

Another thing to consider, if in the event that someone wishes to sell his used 642, he will have a rough time trying to get half of what he paid for if the finish is flaked off or if the frame shows this much wear as mine has in the less than a years time of owning it... This brings me back to the 640. IF I pop on a 640 I would get it in 357 magnum. Doesn't mean I'll shoot 357 magnums. I have shot a snub nose 357 before and they are not fun. HOWEVER, It will retain its resale value more so than one chambered in 38 special because of its versatility. e.g. shooting both 38 special/357 magnum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceunit View Post
Care to elaborate on that? How did that happen? Many 642 owners may like to know.

Not saying this will happen to your's, maybe mine was a LEMON I purchased this 642 brand new on black friday 2017, carried it daily and shot probably around 400-500 rounds. I forgot but it wasn't much over that. All factory ammo and a couple boxes of remington golden sabre +P. I returned the revolver back to S&W and they determined that it needs a new frame.

The Following User Likes This Post: