Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 09-30-2018, 01:03 PM

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,260 Posts

TNZ71 requested I add this post from another thread to this thread. So:

My first duty gun was a 4" model 66. I later got the itch for a 686 as I thought that's what I was supposed to want, so I traded it off. I've regretted the trade. Well yesterday, while throwing old stuff out, my wife found the receipt where in 1985 I traded it and 50 bucks in on a 4" 686 at Lucky's Liquor & Sporting Goods in St Charles Mo. It contains the guns SN. I'll just throw it out there in the outside chance someone runs across it as I would have some interest: 41K2144

I'm not holding my breath.

---------------------------------------------

Clipped from another thread that seemed to meet the theme of this one (Edited a tad for relevance):

I spent the majority of my LEO career at a partially rural southern FL Dept. Initially and for most of my career there they did not issue a firearm. When I started the rules were that you could carry any wheel gun of 38 special or larger that you could qualify with and any of the major brands of firearms. Rossi, Taurus, etc not permitted. If you wanted to carry magnums, 357 or 44 Mag, you had to qualify with them first attempt, otherwise you had to qualify with 38 or 44 special. Most carried smith 357s, either 66s or 686s. I don't know the percentage that were restricted to specials. There were always a some that barely qualified with anything. A few carried Colts or Rugers. There were a fair number carrying 44s and a few carrying 45LC. Some of the brass carried 44s and one I know of the long colt. Back up and off duty was pretty wide open and I don't recall any qualification with them early on. I carried a 6" 629 filled with magnums the majority of my time with that Dept. When I initially hired on there my duty gun was a 686, as it had been with the Dept that immediately preceded it. At the Dept that preceded that one I was carrying a 659 as my primary but the others didn't initially allow semi-autos. My backup/OD was a 669 or 60 depending on mood. I also carried an AMT Backup in my back pocket at times as a backup but I never had full faith in it.

Eventually they (The Dept I stayed with) permitted semiautos but you had to pass an extended transition course which included a fairly unreasonable qualification. I was one of the first to do the transition and carried a 645 but I didn't find it reliable and went back to my wheel gun. I later tried a 4506 but didn't find it any better so back to the 629 where I mostly stayed except for my stint on the marine unit and a couple other times when I got a wild hair to carry something different. I carried my personal Gen 2 G21 long enough to show some holster wear. But darn, I always liked my wheel gun and I sure could shoot that 6" 629 good, so it was always home base.

Eventually they issued duty guns phasing in with G21 I think. Later then switched to the Smith M&P (I think), had issues with it , went to 40 cal Glocks and just recently to Glock 17s. Those that were there were grandfathered, like me, were allowed to continue carrying what we had been.

I switched to a Kimber 1911 for my last couple of years when they quit buying 44. I think I was the last 44 guy. I don't know if there are even any wheel gun duty guns left now. I believe everyone has to carry what's issued now.

Last edited by oink; 10-04-2018 at 01:21 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: