View Single Post

Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts
Default Holster needs, wants, buy decisions?

I USED TO HAVE a great gun buy process worked out with my wife (unsuspecting of course) when browsing yard sales, flea markets, antique stores (her passion).

I would spot an old basket weave, usually black, mostly needing some TLC (and tons of saddle soap), didn't matter the barrel length or style, or even strong side matching me. The object was "Honey what do you think? Does this look like its worth $5.00?" Usual response: "looks OK condition wise but the belt loop looks too small (or large) for your gun belt but see if they'll take $3.00". NEVER: "why" or "what gun does that fit".

So we all know the Great Rule of Holsters: One MUST own the proper gun to fit the proper holster!!!

Off on the hunt I go....... Ah......those were the good ol days cause now a days the only surplus holsters I see anywhere is plastic, or Kydex, or police turn ins, with retention level attachments and doo-dads that require a PHD in Mechanical Engineering to get the dang pistol out and in service. Not much left for revolvers (at least ones that I want).

Be honest about it: Sometimes when the smell of Hoppes # 9 gets a little intense and you've fondled enough of your guns, the smell of good leather being massaged with your favorite treatment is almost just as alluring. Agree?
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 3 Users Like Post: