Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Liked 108 Times in 22 Posts

Somewhat younger than most posters here so far, I started out with a 4046 in ‘99. The first semis we carried (early ‘90’s transition) were 4043’s but there was issues with the alloy frame getting beat up by the stainless slide. We now have M&P 40’s and will be transitioning to M&P9’s shortly. Prior to the transition to semi autos, it was personal purchase, anything in 357, as long as it was a Smith, Ruger, or Colt, with most of them being Smith 66’s or 686’s.

Now that I am the training Lt. and have the range under my area of responsibility, I am trying to get the powers that be to once again allow revolvers as back up weapons. I have taken a real affinity to them over the last few years and have realized their value as back up weapons. A lot of guys ( myself included) carry the Bodyguard 380, which is 7 rounds of 380, I like my chances a lot better with 5-6 rounds of .38 Speer Gold +P’s. Fewer rounds, but at the distances where a backup would likely be needed and keeping the rule of three in mind (most encounters are from 3 feet, with 3 rounds, over in 3 seconds) a J or snubby K frame is more than adequate.

Speaking of the brick radio, I found a few the other day when cleaning out a storage area in property, probably give them to the local police museum if they have a need for them. Also found our old Patrol Commander’s Remington 870 Wingmaster still in pristine comdition and wearing the original wood stocks it left Ilion with in 1968 with and an action so smooth people would pay $200 to get one as smooth on a new one. Also found an old Victory model that had been painted red and had the hammer spur taken off sitting in the bottom of a closet in our training room. I promptly cleaned off the paint, bought and installed a new hammer spur, oiled it up and now keep it at the range as a blank gun or to loan out for CCW classes we do. She still locks up tight and timing is spot on.

Last edited by 21b o3; 10-01-2018 at 05:11 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: