View Single Post

Old 10-02-2018, 09:18 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 15,562 Times in 3,101 Posts
Default Making an old dream come true

Well, I waited and waited, then found what I thought was a grail gun. Only, it wasn't a grail gun as such, but it was close. That stoked my fire just enough to commit a cardinal sin against my dearly loved, and well used model 58.

As some of you know and have seen the photos, last year I bought a 58 with a cut-down shrouded barrel that the seller claimed was a 41 Mag. The pictures screamed Behlert, but I haven't lettered it yet, and a letter may not reveal the gunsmith anyhow. I was sad when I discovered that it was terribly inaccurate due to the fact that it was a 44 magnum, and not a 41.

No worries though....I quickly came to the conclusion that it was loads more fun (and more accurate) with 44 Special loads.

But, I still have been lusting after a 41 Jovino or Behlert, and not unlike many folks here, I have dreamed that Doc44 would one day sell, trade, or give me (hey, I could get lucky one day ) his 29-58.

Enough time had passed, and a 4" model 57 barrel found it's way into my parts bin, and with some help from a forum friend and all-around fine gentlemen David Kieth, I now have a 3.25" 41 Magnum barrel. To top it off, Doc44 was kind enough to send me a CD of hi-res photos of his 29-58 so that I could forge a copy in 41 Mag.

With the barrel cut, crown, and front sight handled, I packaged up my blued 58 and sent it to Ford's down in Florida for the remaining treatment, including their high polish blue that pretty closely matches Smith & Wesson's work of a bygone era. In a few months, I hope to see a dream realized.

Here is the base for the project - A first year model 58 with numbers matching stocks.

The 'unofficial' 58 Club-blued583-jpg

The 'unofficial' 58 Club-blued581-jpg

Here she is in the 'most often carried' configuration. This 58 rode around the ranch with to deal with feral hogs, porcupines, and poachers. I know a lot of folks don't like the factory combat grips, but they fit my hands just right.

The 'unofficial' 58 Club-dscf0192_zpsfaf3e44e-jpg

The 'unofficial' 58 Club-dscf0190_zps15cc003a-jpg

And here is the barrel stash- The top blued barrel has been chopped, the center barrel went to a nefarious gun and leather crafter for one of his projects, and the 6" nickel 44 mag barrel is still waiting for a purpose.

The 'unofficial' 58 Club-dscf0370_zpsxrkctztu-jpg

In about 4-5 months, I hope to have in my hands a real dream. Many thanks to all the enablers and friends that helped me along the way.

And don't worry - I am absolutely NOT going to harm a single hair on the 1st year nickel 58 that is a brother to the blued 58. It shall remain intact throughout my possession.

Thanks again guys, and keep those 58's coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blued583.jpg (147.0 KB, 874 views)
File Type: jpg Blued581.jpg (144.6 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0192_zpsfaf3e44e.jpg (78.3 KB, 878 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0190_zps15cc003a.jpg (73.7 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0370_zpsxrkctztu.jpg (227.7 KB, 877 views)