View Single Post

Old 10-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillydruggist View Post
is this really common?
No! It occurred with stainless steel Redhawks when they were brand new on the market. The problem was found to be ineffective lubricant wiped on the barrel threads before they were screwed into the frame. The threads galled. In other words the male and female threads scrapped metal off each other. Forcing the barrel on in took too much torque. In a thread on the topic some one who was defending Ruger from criticism by a S&W fan posted a picture of a Model 686 L frame that had its barrel break off in the barrel threads. There was no story with the picture of the 686. The problem happen with stainless steel K frames early in two piece barrel production. I think that is the story GrayFox wrote about.

Automobile assembly line workers have also screwed up the simple job of screwing things together. The only car I bought new was a Toyota. Its head bolts were not torqued in. I watched the dealership's mechanic diagnose the problem then I watched the torque wrench while he snugged them down. The dealership had the gall to charged for repairing the car they'd sold me new a day or two before! The charge should have been protested above the dealership level but I was young and had to get to work. In contrast, Ruger and S&W warranty repaired their revolvers including free shipping both ways. I drove that Toyota 14 years so I did get my money's worth out of it.

Last edited by k22fan; 10-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: