View Single Post

Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

I used the auto disc hopper with adjustable charge bars for many years loading H4227 in .38 Spec (10.5 gn) and 44/40 (15.5 gn). Every time I changed charge bars, in fact every time I refilled the hopper (I empty it after every loading session) and went to load more of the same caliber, I had to fiddle around for 10 minutes to get the “right” charge drop.

The auto drum is much better. As a closed system there is very little powder spill (a bit around the rotary mechanism if not tightened correctly) unlike the open auto disk. But the auto drum spring is not powerful enough to return the drum back to full battery. Yes, it can be set so that the drop occurs with the required weight without the drum returning fully, but I prefer to reach up from the handle with my right hand and turn it fully back while placing the projectile onto the case mouth with my left hand. It works for me.

I also pause the handle at the bottom of each stroke momentarily to allow the full powder drop. I found if I do not pause the powder charge can vary a bit.

As I mainly use a progressive press it is one drop for each pull of the handle. Sometimes I do use my old 3 hole Turret press (44/40, 38 S&W, .32 Auto, any small case or where the mouth can be easily damaged) but I still use the same auto drum powder measure.

My Perfect powder measure (for rifle loads) is something else again. Turn the handle too fast and the full powder load does not drop, so I turn the handle, tap the rotating drum once with my finger and then turn the handle back again.

Whichever system I use I always start every loading session by filling the hopper, making 10 drops, then weighing the following 5 drops until either I get 3 consecutive drops of the same selected charge or the 5 drop average is right, + or - no more than .2 gn of my selected charge.

I have found while chronographing load development that except for working at top end loads .1 or .2 of a gn does not make much, if any, difference in velocity. If my load is too low I generally will raise the charge weight by .5 for the next time (unless again working at the top end) and adjust downwards if my targeted is overreached.

In my experience it does not matter which press or powder measure someone uses. If you can get it to work for you that’s all that is required.

Last edited by Kiwi cop; 10-02-2018 at 03:33 PM.