Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 10-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Liked 6,340 Times in 1,647 Posts

While in the OSP Academy we were issue the standard M10HB. Mine was used and had just been re-blued and leaked oil for the first several weeks I had it, my handcuffs were in the same condition. I got gigged by every inspecting officer at every inspection for many weeks because of having an oily weapon. The Academy also reloaded their own ammo on an old worn out automated press that frequently resulted in squib loads. While going through a low light qualification I felt what seem like a light recoil/report, broke open the cylinder & tried looking down the barrel to make sure the bullet had cleared, we got a lot of practice doing this because of the ammo problem. I thought I saw a clear barrel & was now running out of time so I fired off the last 2 rounds in rapid fire. When the lights came back on I looked down & saw a bullet sticking out of the end of my barrel. When the range officer asked if there were any alibi's I raised my left hand and kept my revolver pointed down range. When the range officer removed the stuck protruding bullet with a pair of pliers he looked down the barrel and could not see through. Out came the range rod and hammer along with 2 more bullets that were lodged in the barrel. The barrel held but always had a bulge that you could see under the right light and could easily feel. The gun was not replaced and later developed a severe timing issue that resulted in it spitting bullet fragments so bad it would cut through a piece of paper hung on the academy firing range stall wall. Finally the gun was supposedly sent back to Smith to be rebuilt but when it was returned to me, the bulge was still in the barrel and no one wanted to shoot next to me due to it still "spitting lead". I also had 2 firing pins break on that M10, but I wound up having to carry that gun until we got them replaced with new issue M681's. That M10 was the only weapon I didn't buy as we changed weapons.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: