View Single Post

Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Liked 6,613 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
A random thought after reading both Fastbolt and BMCM's posts. If one had a mainspring cup from a set of Hogue grips, could that be used instead of putting the entire grip assembly back on every time?

Then, once the timing is confirmed, remove that and put the Delrin grips back on.

As I said, a random thought.
Never tried it that way, but as long as the factory mainspring cup (plunger) plunger is still inside the Hogue base and the base pinned in place, I don't see why not. Careful not to pinch your skin when cocking the hammer with the exposed mainspring.

The Hogue base is just the support for the factory mainspring cup (plunger). A common couple of mistakes that sometimes happens is that someone forgets to use the factory mainspring cup (which is really called a "plunger", BTW, if you haven't already noticed it mentioned. ), and/or they forget to still use the factory grip pin when they install the Hogue grips.

The mainspring plunger sits against (on top) of the detent ring of the grip pin, which supports and gives full tension to the spring under the cocked hammer.

While some guys used to cut up an old "pre-dimple" factory grip, cutting the sides off to make an armorer's backstrap (to check the decocking timing), I used a 469 backstrap we had left laying around. It's short, sure, but it was just needed to support the mainspring plunger, mainspring and hammer/stirrup while checking decocking timing. This way the sideplate wasn't subjected to having the top of the left side of the grip rub up against it, and risk snagging under the front of the sideplate. That's what usually tweaked and bent or broke off the rear leg of the sideplate's legs, caused by inattention when installing the 3rd gen factory grip.

They used to stress that getting the right timing was important enough, that they even told us to insert & seat an empty magazine in the reassembled gun when checking the decocking timing.

Better safe than sorry when you're working on guns.