View Single Post

Old 10-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
Default Will anyone notice?

In this country (New Zealand) handguns are very uncommon and Police are generally “unarmed” (G17 in lockbox in passengers footwell, M4 in lock tray in the vehicles boot (trunk). Even the sight of a soft air pistol or some toys in public elicit emergency calls from the public.

About 6 weeks ago a gang related shooting death saw all police in our district armed. For the first few days I felt conscious of the Glock on my hip. Getting in and out of the car several dozen times a day and walking through doors (the issue holster cants the butt out so much I can fit my clenched fist, thumb towards body, between my belt and the inside of the guns grip). After I got used to carrying and adapted my movements I just didn’t think about the Glock on my hip except at start and end of duty when I attached and detached the holster from the backing plate on my duty belt.

More importantly no-one seemed to notice it. They certainly didn’t comment on it.

I was working near my home so calling in 3 times a day for meals and breaks. It took my step-son 3 days to notice it and my wife another week. I went into the bank to pay my credit card and joked around with the tellers. They never said anything about it. No driver I stopped durin the 3 weeks we carried openly said anything, yet some still comment in the bright yellow taser on the other side of my belt.

My guess is that no-one will notice you carrying unless you draw attention to it yourself. The advise above comes from experience, so take it all in.

Last edited by Kiwi cop; 10-05-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: