View Single Post

Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Liked 1,770 Times in 496 Posts

I owned one for a while. Some previous owner had cut the barrel down and dovetailed a sight into it. It was ugly as sin and had been abused during it's life. The magazine had been tweaked to near junk by someone trying to get it to work, and had clearly hammered on the takedown lever. I got the magazine sort of back into shape, but it took a lot of trial and error.

Surprisingly, it shot well enough, though I can attest it was no longer a "target" pistol, it shot decent enough groups even after amputation. It did have a nice trigger. I actually think it handled better with the barrel cut. It was an odd design, and parts are truly unobtainable without cannibalizing another, so it's most definitely something you don't want to shoot often. I kept to standard velocity ammunition and did not have any problem, but the novelty wore off pretty quick and I passed it on to someone more interested than me.

The Reising submachinegun is much maligned, for good reason, by the soldiers who tried to use them in the Pacific. Aside from non-interchangeable parts, it's real weakness is the magazines which go from double to single stack feed at a shallow angle, so magazines are really finicky. The firing pin is another weak point, but thankfully those are still available. We've had one for a long time, and while it may be awful for combat in the sand, I can say that it is a great handling little machinegun, one of my favorites actually, when the magazines are sorted out. Lots of them saw life as prison and police weapons. Ours was a prison gun.