View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

I'm not a fan of the air weights. The hammer pin broke on my 642 broke shooting it at the range. It was four years old and only had a couple thousand rounds through it. Sent it back to S&W. They said it was due to normal wear and tear. Wouldn't cover the replacement under the extended service policy. Appealed - no go.

With that as context, two things...
1) If you're going to shoot it a lot, and you really want an air weight, buy two. One to shoot and one to carry. Maybe I just got a bad one, but in my experience, the one you shoot a lot won't last. There's a number of gun forum threads where others have had the problem with either broken hammer pins or broken trigger pins on air weights. From what I've read, it looks like if the revolver is under a couple years old, S&W will cover it. Older than that they might not. Either way, no way I'd depend on an air weight any more if I didn't have to.

2) Better yet, go steel. S&W 60, 640, etc. or Ruger LCR (steel, not polymer) or SP101. That gets you into either a .357, 9mm, or .327 by default.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Last edited by Ziggy2525; 10-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: