View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilamr View Post
I was reading a post by mrcvs on the Antique forum:
partial quote:
"How do I state this emphatically? There is little to no upside to grey guns, guns with patina, guns without condition, etc & etc, unless extremely rare or extraordinary provenance. And how can there be? You are lucky if the under 40 set even wants to pick up a gun, and when they do, it is unusual that the interest is anything other than "black guns". Very few younger folks show interest in this stuff--walk around an antique firearms show and note all the grey hair!"
Here's the link for full context;
Smith and Wesson New Model #3
It struck a nerve that has been bothering me for a while now.
Is the younger generation only interested in plastic fantastic's?

Are most of the S&W semi auto all metal fans in the over 50's crowd?

Disclaimer, I'm over 60 and just now at a stage in life where I'm able to get back into appreciating firearms. Most of my "collection" was from 30+ years ago and I'm just now starting to add to it. Just wondering if I'm part of a dying breed and only able to relate to those of the ex LEO or military types of similar age as me. I guess I'm concerned that there's not going to be many of us left to appreciate the art and workmanship of these fine pistols.
Anyone out there in the under 50 crowd?
Any insight on the future of my obsession would be appreciated.
I'M OLDER THAN YOU BY LEAST A DECADE, I WOULD GUESS......

MOST OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE THAT I SEE AT THE RANGE ARE SHOOTING HI-CAP, 9MM, TUPPERWARE. THIER AREA OF THE RANGE IS LITTERED WITH BRASS, AND THEIR TARGETS ARE COVERED WITH HOLES FROM EDGE TO EDGE......

EVERY NOW AND THEN---ATTRACTED BY THE BOOMING REPORT OF MY BIG BORE REVOLVER, AND MY TARGET BEING ROLLED IN WITH ONE RAGGED HOLE IN THE BLACK---ONE OR TWO OF THEM MAY WANDER DOWN TO MY END OF THE RANGE, TO SAY HELLO TO THIS OL' GEEZER, AND TO LOOK WITH WONDER AT WHAT I AM SHOOTING......

YES, WE ARE A DYING BREED ! ! !