View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lowry View Post
...It used to be that new cars came with instruction on engine break-in-- it's the same idea: Tight tolerances, and a bit of wear will help prevent failure...

Should a gun require a break-in? Depends on the level of precision with which it was made. I sure wouldn't buy, say, a Colt Gold Cup and expect to be able to carry it right away.
Personally, almost every semi I have purchased brand new has had a FTF of some kind in the first hundred rounds. This includes multiple Glocks, SIGs, Taurus, Walthers, and others I can't think of. I think the only semi-autos I have had that did not malfunction during their break-in were the Glock 43 I had but sold after about 200 rounds, my Tristar C100 (CZ75 copy), and my Para 1911 Expert Commander. One other problem-free break-in was a buddy's Kimber 1911. He got it years back after coming home from a deployment, put it away and forgot about it. He rediscovered it, and knowing I was a "gun guy" loaned it to me for a range session. I ran 200 rounds of a few different brands of ammo thru it without a single hiccup.

Does that mean those last four are better made than my Glock 19, 26, 36, or 42? All of them besides the G26 became reliable after the initial break-in. The G26 was completely unreliable until I upgraded the extractor system. It was the biggest piece of garbage I have ever owned.

I'm a firm believer in the break-in period, and wouldn't consider carrying a semi-auto, regardless of manufacturer, without running it thru its paces.

That said, I have also had perfect functional semi-auto pistols start acting up out of nowhere, which is why I carry revolvers 99% of the time.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 10-07-2018 at 08:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: