View Single Post

Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

John in WYO, you did very well. Older, pre-war S&W target revolvers are of my favorites. This would be a 1905/4th change that were made - for the longest period of time, likely from the mid to late 1910s right up to (just prior to WWII). After Pearl Harbor whatever was in the machine works had been completed into early 1942 when Uncle Sam took over all the firearms manufacturing of all major gun companies and took over others too, such as autos, trucks, planes, etc.

Of this specific model I have 5 with very slight variations (e.g. stocks, rear sights, etc.) but basically the exact same. I don't know which one of mine I like the best but I like yours, too.

You did extremely well on the purchase price. If not refinished and considering the front sight is likely modified, with non-original stocks its worth much more than you paid for it, if mechanically excellent.

If you're going to shoot it have a good gunsmith give it the "once-over" to make sure it is operating correctly and safely.

I suggest you first try the .38 Special wad-cutter, factory pack, Target rounds ( usually associated to and made for the .38 Master Model 52). Has a standard powder charge with 148 grain lead projectiles then work your way to a comfort zone from there.

These rounds in factory packs are extremely accurate so if you're off mark it will likely be your own fault. Start at 15 yards, at a 6 O'clock hold (or aim) which means you level off those target sights to the bottom center of the black rings of a standard NRA bullseye target.

After that, move it out to a comfortable distance for you. If it is functioning properly and in excellent condition, and if it was mounted in a Ransom Rest, at 15 yards you should have less than a 1" variance.

Good luck with that and an excellent find, especially at that price. Sal

Last edited by model3sw; 10-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: