View Single Post

Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Liked 363 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshwheeling View Post
While a knife may be a dandy offensive weapon for a commando or a thug, for the reasons mentioned plus a few more, there are plenty of good reasons to carry a knife that have nothing to do with self-defense.

If you are going to carry a knife, and want to keep alive the possibility or entertain the fantasy of using it for self-defense, then it should have a locking blade and be openable with one hand. The three knives pictured are in your price range and have the necessary attributes.most importantly, these are all decent pocket knives, with pretty good fit and finish and capable of performing the tasks you will likely require of a pocket knife..

On the left is a Kershaw CQC-6. It has a frame lock, and opens either with a thumb disk or with the Emerson Wave, a licensed feature that is a hook that catches on the edge of your pocket when you withdraw the knife, so that it is open in your hand as soon as it clears your pocket. It has a G10 scale on one side, stainless frame on the other. About $35

In the middle is the KaBar Dozier, a lockback with a spear point and FRN handles. It is light and slim in the pocket, and opens with a flick of the wrist using the thumb stud. Under $20.

On the right is the Ontario RAT-2, a drop point blade with a full flat grind and G10 scales over steel liners. It opens quickly and easily with a flick of the wrist and the thumb stud. OF these three, this would be my favorite.

I do not particularly recommend these over other knives you may come across. They are what I happen to have, are fairly representative of what is available, and are all pretty well regarded by knife nuts.

If you really want an assisted knife, Kershaw has quite a few in your price range. The Leek is a very nice assisted knife, made in the USA. It lists for around $70, but can readily be found around $40.
I have bought several Kabar Doziers for my son and others. Maybe the best bargin in knives.