View Single Post

Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Liked 17,264 Times in 6,633 Posts

Edited for brevity, not lack of excellence.

I did a conversion of this type using advice from JohnHL. Essentially what he describes here, but he also gave me some tips on doing the actual work.

It works well, but I still ended up converting the 457 back to TDA mode.

It's a technically easy conversion, just a bit fiddly getting all of the parts back in place.

Once the conversion was done, the gun shot fine. The reason I converted it back is because after a while it becomes a bear to shoot. I put the first 50 rounds through with no problem. At about round 75, my forearm started to hurt like heck. I barely made it to 100.

Of course in a self defense situation, I'm unlikely to fire 10, let alone 100 rounds. Still, to remain proficient more than one or two magazines are required.

Of course, I have the parts to convert a 3913 to DAO, except for the 3913 itself. If I find one for short money, I'll likely buy it and do the conversion all over again.

For more sustained shooting, I'll stick with my pre rail 3953TSW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHL View Post
Last, but not least, is the 3914DAO style. (Also called NYPD, 2nd strike capable, or true double action.)
These are essentially DA/SA pistols that have had the single action notch deleted from the hammer and the manual safety body replaced with a "firing pin retainer" (unmovable dummy safety body).

This 3rd style is the easiest conversion to make but also has the "worst" trigger pull as it is simply the double action pull of the DA/SA pistols.

Does this help answer your question?

John