View Single Post

Old 10-09-2018, 02:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 24,933 Times in 8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Wow, I stand corrected on both of my misinformation. If it is the case.

I thought I read a few different times the Henry was chambered in .44-40. And I did not know they were selling off some of the bolt guns in the armories. It really doesn't make a lot of sense too. But I guess they did think it was the war to end all wars.

I know when WWII broke out there were a lot of units using 03's in the beginning. The story with my Grandpa's Unit (2nd Infantry Division) was that they kept their 03's until they were in France. Cuz the commanding General believed they were better.

I also thought the .44-40 was the more prevalent round in the old west. I'm pretty sure I read that when Teddy Roosevelt went west, he had a single action revolver in .44-40. But now that I've been corrected on other things, I have no clue if I am correct or not. LOL.

My apologies.
Modern Henrys and Model 66s ARE chambered in .44-40 and .45 Colt, due to no .44 Flat ammo is available and the fact that you can reload .44-40 & .45 Colt ammo.

The .44-40 was a popular cartridge in the Old West, but other more powerful rifle rounds were also popular. The US Army was using the .45-70 round, with several different loadings, in their Trapdoor rifles and carbines. Buffalo hunters mostly used single shot rifles chambered in rounds like .50-70, .45 -90 and some of the various .40 calibers.

Civilians have always liked military rounds, but many also wanted repeaters. The Marlin 1881 and Winchester 1886 were the first popular rifles chambered in .45-70.

Going back to revolvers, the .45 Colt was the most common round found in the Colt Single Action Army, probably because it was the US Army cartridge.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!