View Single Post

Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
Overpenetration is a real risk when using FMJ for self defense. NYPD switched to JHP after having several instances of FMJ passing through people and injuring bystanders and other officers. I can think of 2 instances just off the top of my head where .45ACP FMJ went through the intended target's body and injured the person behind.

Also, as was already mentioned, people keep misinterpreting the 12-18" gel penetration guideline. The FBI came up with that guideline because, based on their research and those of others, such as Dr. Martin Fackler, a round that penetrates that depth in gel will penetrate deep enough in people, even with bone and other tissue types, to damage vital organs/systems.

Another point: generally speaking, handgun FMJs don't cause much damage. They typically leave narrow wound channels. It stretches tissue before punching through, then afterwards the tissue springs back, almost sealing the wound back up. A JHP, even one that doesn't expand, is going to cause more tissue disruption due to a "cookie cutter" effect. Where a FMJ may glance off a bone if it doesn't get a direct, straight-on shot, a JHP is going to be more likely to "bite" and damage the bone.

Regarding heavy clothing: Police agencies in the northern US have been using modern JHP against heavily-clothed attackers with good success. St. Paul, Minnesota PD uses the 147gr HST. Chicago PD and NYPD have both used the .38 Special SB-GDHP.

If you want to carry FMJ, that's your business. I personally see no reason to, unless your restricted by law (I'm thinking of NJ). The risks far outweigh any perceived benefits.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. The hole that the bullet goes in will leak. The blood vessels broken from the small wound track will not mend themselves back together after the bullet passes through. Yes, I understand a hollow point will do more tissue damage. And probably cause more bleeding. But as someone pointed out, a second hole wouldn't be a bad thing. If it had enough energy to make it out. And as someone mentioned, standard pressure HP's are not likely to do much, or expand much. And if they don't I'm skeptical that they would have sufficient penetration. Maybe in some cases. But I think they would lean towards under penetrating. Although it's all just talk until a certain set of circumstances actually presents itself. Which I pray it never does.

Plus, I know that this will probably get people in an uproar, but I'm not sure my main goal is to kill someone. I like the latest Lucky Gunner video posted with Claude Werner in it. He's talking about the goal for civilians is to break contact. Or basically stop the situation. That doesn't always mean, or hasn't always meant DRT. Military and Police may have different missions.

It may seem like I'm jumping on some kind of new wagon cuz of the internet, but it's something I agree with and have for a long time. I've carried FMJ's in my 9's before too. Because I was more interested in proper penetration because of all the things I cited. Size of person/ clothing/ bones. I've heard stories of some .38's and other guns actually not defeating a skull.

This guy just says a lot of good things better than I can. That I agree with.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/w...ocket-pistols/

Last edited by ABPOS; 10-09-2018 at 06:44 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: