View Single Post

Old 10-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Liked 18,473 Times in 7,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlawler View Post
Yeah, it’s a pain. Luckily I only use the large primer .45, so that’s one less thing I have to check. One mistake I made was to throw all the brass I collected from a few range trips all in the tumbler together, figuring I’d just sort it when it was clean. All of the smaller stuff like .357sig, 10mm and .40 had gotten stuck in the .45cases, wedged there tight by the grains of media. Some of it I had to pull apart with pliers. Plus the part of the smaller
case that was inside the .45 case never got polished. Now, I sort and inspect after I wash them in a mix of simple green diluted with warm water, then dry in a warm oven. I tumble by caliber or same size case (10 & 40 together).
Yeah, I learned that one the hard way too.

I learned to only put different length cases of the same approximate diameter together.

For example; I don't tumble 38 and 357 together - too big of a pain to sort. I'll tumble 9mm and 38 or 9mm and 357 together because they won't fit one inside the other, and the length difference makes them easy to sort.

Likewise I won't tumble 380 with 9mm, but will tumble it with 38 or 357. Another combination I avoid is 44 mag, 44 special, 45 Colt together, but I'll tumble any one of them with 45 acp.