View Single Post

Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Liked 7,272 Times in 2,479 Posts

Like so many others I see on the internet on the subject of self-defense, you worry too much. Be confident in what you've got and stop worrying about what-if scenarios in which your carry gun has to be used against a larger assailant in which the .38 Special just so happens to be less than adequate, based purely on assumption.

That being said, I have found that among lower velocity bullets such as .38 Special, .380 ACP, and .45 ACP, the Hornady's XTP bullets reign supreme, boasting the perfect balance of penetration and expansion with the utmost reliability. Brand doesn't seem to matter either, so anything that uses the XTP bullet ought to be an adequate performer.

Last but not least, the idea that heavy winter clothing can serve as a rudimentary ballistics vest is nothing more than an overstated urban legend. Seriously, it has been tested many times by a variety of shooters on YouTube, and it has been soundly debunked. In fact, when it comes to Jacketed Hollow Point bullets, the exact opposite can be true because if the cavity gets plugged up with clothing and doesn't expand it actually penetrates even deeper.
I actually saw one particular video in which a guy went out to a thrift store, bought hundreds of Tee Shirts, placed them all over a rubber dummy and shot them with a variety of cartridges. IIRC, it took over 200 layers to stop a .22LR and over 600 layers to stop a 9mm Luger. Needless to say, it would be physically impossible to wear that many layers of clothing and maintain mobility.
I also watched another video by ShootingtheBull410 on YouTube in which he shot a specific brand/style of heavy winter coat after a dubious report by NY Police that it was bulletproof. Regardless of what he did, .22LR fired from a pistol zipped right through it, he even tried wadding it up into a tight little ball then shooting it, yet the .22LR passed right through.
The Following User Likes This Post: