Thread: Air Force EOD
View Single Post

Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,401 Times in 864 Posts
Default Air Force EOD

I worked with the Air Force Civil Engineering Squadrons on a number of projects. My SEABEE unit built many Ma Deuce bunkers and SWA (South West Asia) huts for the AF.

Unlike the Navy, where EOD is a separate entity, AF EOD is part of the CE Squadron. I had an opportunity to do some joint training with them. We spent a day blowing stuff up.

We used safety fuse, which has a predictable rate of burn, crimp on blasting caps, C-4 explosive and an igniter.

During this particular day, we detonated 2-1000 lb bombs and a 2000 lb bomb. In the photo, the plume from the 2000 pounder is smaller as the photo was snapped as the mushroom was just developing.

We timed the bombs to blow after we had retreated about a mile away. Shrapnel still landed in our immediate area. The photo of one piece that came whipping thru the air like a lawn mower blade. It is so razor sharp that it is difficult to handle without cutting your fingers. Makes one think twice about being on the ground as an infantryman.

The third photo shows the EOD Chief and me with an Airborne Magnesium Flare which we also detonated.

The EOD team later had to detonate a large number of unexploded cluster bomb munitions. Extremely dangerous procedure as the individual bomblets are armed and the slightest jar can set them off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0471.jpg (85.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0470.jpg (85.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0480.jpg (63.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0481.jpg (34.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0483.jpg (38.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by OLDNAVYMCPO; 10-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.
The Following 28 Users Like Post: