Thread: Turret Presses
View Single Post

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Liked 3,279 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Hooker View Post
So all this discussion brings up a good point. Different folks prefer to use their presses in different ways. Some of that may be driven by user preference . Some by their press's features. So, rather than try to adapt a tool to a task, it is likely better to determine how you want to use your press and then pick the right tool to do it.
At the risk of repeating some of the above, Turret Presses differ slightly but generally offer good flexibility, dependability and control ability. For me the right tool is the LCT but for you (the OP), a different press might fit your needs better. A search here (and on the Net) of any of these models will lead you to lots of discussions on their benefits and drawbacks.
In any case, get one and get started!
I already have a Dillon 550b and on old RCBS Rockchucker single stage I bought new in about 1971 or 1972.

I just can't make myself trust the automatic powder measure on the Dillon and prefer to charge my brass as a separate operation off the press with another measure and actually look down in each case to be sure the powder charges all look like they come up to the same level. Some of my pistol caliber loads are fired in replicas of 1866 and 1873 Winchester rifles which do not have the strongest actions. One inadvertent double-charge could wreck the actions of either of these fine rifles.