View Single Post

Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 AM

Liked 9,270 Times in 3,479 Posts
Default Endurance Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Bought my 629 no-dash 4" bbl...
It is currently at S&W getting the lockwork looked at, as it skipped a chamber with some sporty factory fodder.

... I recall reading that the no-dash 629s are not as robust as some of the newer 629s (or Ruger RH/SRH).
The skipped chamber problem was what prompted the Endurance Pkg. changes. The enhancements that mainly corrected that started with cylinder yoke hardening on the 629-2E.

The next changes (629-3), mainly for this problem, included the longer cylinder notches & a bolt block to keep the cylinder locked in place.

The hardened yoke body helped strengthen the yoke's barrel & reduce the cause of excessive cylinder endshake, which allows the cylinder to move forward under recoil, increasing the likelyhood of the the cylinder stop not engaging the cylinder's notch & the cylinder backing up a chamber.

The longer notches allows a little forward play & flex but still remain engaged with the stop's ball.

My 29-2 developed excessive endshake from too many 70's-80's era hot handloads & started skipping occasionally even on moderate loads. Once I corrected the excessive endshake that issue was resolved.

Now it's reserved for moderate loads (240gr bullets at ~1050mv) & a lot of R&R time in the safe. My 629-6 & M69 get the hot stuff nowadays.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 10-11-2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: .
The Following 2 Users Like Post: