View Single Post

Old 10-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psweigle View Post
I happen to have that very rifle, and i can tell you that about 1100 fps is all alox will handle. I use range scrap lead. I powdercoat all my cast bullets for 357 magnum,and alox my 38's. Ive found if you add a little mica powder after you tumble lube,and roll them in it, they arent near as sticky. If you powdercoat them successfully, you can run them as fast as a full charge magnum can go without leading. Hope this helps.
+1^^^^^^

Powder coating is the way to go.

I have used a luber sizer and several different lubes over the decades including a batch of "ben's red". The only time I use the luber-sizer anymore in for rifle bullets in the +/- 2700fps range with lbt blue lube.

I've used strait lee tl in the past and opted for the 45/45/10 tl instead. I still use the 45/45/10 lube to this day. But I only use it in conjunction with either lbt blue or over pc'd bullets (pc ='s powder coat). The 45/45/10 isn't as sticky and doesn't gum up your reloading dies as bad.

PC'd bullets are user friendly, are not alloy dependent & are faster than their traditionally lubed counterparts. They don't gum up your reloading dies, there's no smoke from lubes burning off when the rounds fired. PC'd bullets can be used in can's, semi-auto's (gas guns) ported bbl's, etc without any fouling/leading issues. The firearms are cave man simple to clean after a range session.

A 1911 chambered in 9mm after a 500+ round range session with 25,000+psi loads doing +/- 1100fps from the 5" bbl.

What the bbl looked like when taken out of the 1911 pictured above.

1 wet patch (hoppe's #9) and 1 dry patch is all it took to clean that bbl. No brushes or scrubbing of any kind. Simply wet a patch and run it thru the bbl and over the muzzle. Then wipe everything dry with a dry patch.

What the inside of a 308w bbl looked like after 30 rounds from a 40,000+psi load doing 2700fps+ with a cast & pc'd 165gr bullet.

Nothing 1 wet patch of bore tech couldn't handle.