View Single Post

Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Liked 17,191 Times in 5,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
Yes that is some huge grain structure. Should not look like that at all. Something went wrong i the process somewhere.

Before the MIM haters start in, think about this.

I purchased 6 2'x3' pieces of high grade German D2 tool steel 3/16" thick. This was rolled sheet so it had been "forged" repeatedly in the process from taking it from a billet to sheet. I had 2 sheets of it water jet cut to a pattern I use to make my standard hunting knife. On one of the blades after grinding the bevels and working to 400 grit sanding there was a small line that would not sand out. I took it back to the belt sander and it still remained after hitting that area again. Put it in a vise and applied side pressure. Snap and at the break an inclusion was visible. Forged is not immune to failure either. This was a steel that was poured into a billet from an inert atmosphere, induction oven, before being hit with the hammers and rollers to reduce it. Top shelf processes by people who pride themselves in their abilities.
Any one with a nominal gear head background will be able to regurgitate stories about failed cranks and rods that were forged. Anything man made can fail - forged, MIM, billet or cast - it doesn't matter. It's too bad records haven't been kept but I'd bet that MIM part failure and forged part failure numbers would be pretty close to being even.