View Single Post

Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Liked 679 Times in 313 Posts

If Smiths never break, howscome my PD sent me to armorer's school years ago?
And if Smiths never break, it's news to my gunsmith who does a not-insignificant percentage of his business repairing older Smiths.

He handles repairs the factory can't, and he's been in the biz long enough to have accumulated a good stockpile of NOS Smith parts that no other gunsmith in the state has.

Your local guy, if he's anything like this, will not have a stockpile forever, he'll be using them up on keeping customers happy with hundreds of thousands of older Smiths that the factory won't service any more.

And the same deal goes with Ebay & other parts sources.
Right now, if you look around, you can still find NOS parts.

Those are drying up, won't be there forever, and the inevitable "Go to Numrich" advice may or may not be any help at all.

Many of those are take-offs from other guns in various condition, and if previously fit may not fit in yours.
Numrich also ships the wrong parts, rusty parts, and other problematic parts on occasion, along with the good stuff.
And just like the other sources- Numrich won't have "new" parts forever.

Aftermarket specialty shops like Jack First & Ron Power may or may not continue to produce parts for these, and may not have what you need anyway.

I'm slowly building up stocks here, and not just Smith parts.
Picked up NOS hammers, triggers, and other small parts for Ruger Security-Sixes & GP100s from my local guy that now even he can't get from Ruger any longer.

I'm too old to ever wear anything out, but occasionally things do break.
And if you're young enough to actually be using a Model 10 for a few decades, you've got a fair chance of something needing a fix at some point along the way.

I've told a contact there in a position to do something about it that I think S&W is seriously missing a bet in not continuing to maintain at least quality factory parts for the pre-MIM guns, but no interest.

Essentially, that leaves many, many older guns that aren't even all that old orphaned.
Since the maker no longer takes responsibility for those guns, if you've got one, it's all on you to do what it takes to keep your Smiths running.

And that includes passing them down to another generation.
Denis
The Following 2 Users Like Post: