Thread: My 1076 jammed
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 AM

Liked 353 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
Arguably might be faster on opening & ejecting but slower going forward to chamber & close breech. One of the known problems with folks sticking extra power recoil springs in their guns is the slide outrunning the magazines as the breech closes.

In addition, the extra heavy springs slamming the breech closed imposes extra impact forces on the locking lugs and the slide stop's cross pin.

I recommend installing a factory recoil spring, S&W PN: 895240000 then take it for a spin.

If I were looking to reduce slide velocity further after installing an OEM recoil spring, I would up the weight on the mainspring before considering messing with the recoil spring.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks, this is great insight. And it makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try the factory spring. I had the stock spring in the gun originally, and had no problems in a 100 or so rounds. But when I noticed the brass hitting the back wall of the indoor range, I figured it might be time for a stouter spring. Not that I really care where the brass goes, but, it seemed like the ballistic brass may have been an indication that it needed something to temper the recoil.

Using the 20lb spring, it cycled fine with everything I put through it... until last time. But the notion that a stouter spring slams the breach closed faster and harder makes sense. And based on the geometry of the stoppage, I'd say that's the most likely reason.
The Following User Likes This Post: