View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
OK, you can't just shave 0.005" off the barrel shoulder. The front sight would end up at about 9:30 o'clock when properly torqued. You'd have to come back one complete revolution (0.0277 in+/-) and then recut the forcing cone, b/c gap and shorten the extractor rod & center pin.

You bought it as a shooter, why don't you just shoot it as is? Your load to load variations will probably be greater than any variation caused by a larger than ideal b/c gap.
I wondered about that, but not having an unmounted barrel to measure the threads, I was/am at a loss. So, the process of shortening the B/C gap is more involved than I had assumed.

QUESTION: Would replacing the barrel with a new one, eliminate the shortening of the extractor rod and center pin? I am assuming that the current widened b/c gap is a result of frame stretch, right?

The most recent trip back to S&W(last month), additional shims/washers were installed to eliminate the then current endshake. Wouldn't setting/shortening the barrel eliminate the need for such "added" washers and self-correct the loose endshake?