View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Liked 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Duigiud,

The Post War I frames are the most convoluted and misunderstood of the S&W Hand Ejectors. Write ups in the SCSW eds. 1 thru 4 exhibit the confusion and lack of discoveries for these models. Although the 4th Ed. on page 144 is my clarification in detail, the following sections on the I frames are still incorrect.

You can see my section in my commentaries here: http://smith-wessonforum.com/blog.php?u=134353

Although for some reason the commentary links are working sporadically much of the time.

Here's a “nutshell” version of the “.38/32 Terrier” evolution which is applicable to all post war I frames with a few exceptions:

1. Pre War:
Introduced in 1935 as a snubby barrel, rd grip version of the 38/32 Regulation Police. Flat mainspring and 6 screws.

2. Post War:
Transitional Model re-introduced in 1948.
A. Pre war post war: almost identical to pre war version including 6 screws, barrel and frame markings, and rd top Svc Grips, but new sliding bar hammer block safety.
B. Pure post war; no patent dates on barrel, 4 line address on frame, some new post war parts, like Mini Magna grips.

3. Improved I frame: 1952 coil mainspring, deletion of tension screw, the 6th screw, no dimensional changes
A. 1st version, rd sight
B. 2nd version ramp front sight with barrel rib

4. Model of 1953 New I frame forging: longer, egg shaped trigger guard (deleted 5th screw), and 1/8” longer rd butt grip frame (same changes to the Model of 1953 J frame. Four screws until late 1955, when upper side plate screw (4th screw deleted). These are the Pre Model 32s. NOTE: screw numbering is different than K and N frame because of the order in which they were eliminated.

5. Designated Model 32 June of 1957, Model # stamping didn’t actually occur until 1958.

6. Designated the Model 32-1 Jan 1961, I frame eliminated, .38/32 built on J frame with extended cyl window/frame, and longer cyl.
I figured your code out. I just read in “Green Frog’s” post where he referred to “Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson” = “SCSW”.
The Following User Likes This Post: