Thread: My 1076 jammed
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Liked 353 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I run pretty much the same setup in my 1006 & 1076. I handload a wide variety of powder/bullet combinations, all upper end loads. I doubt the springs have anything to do with it (*).

How long ago did you add those springs & how many rounds have you fired since then with them?
Is the mainspring original to the pistol or has it been replaced too?

(*) My notes don't show I had a "fit issue" with the Wolff 20# recoil spring in my 1006 or in my 1076. However I have had issues several times, on other 3rd Gens, where a Wolff recoil spring would cause the slide to stop/bottom out on the recoil spring, not the frame abutment, and need trimming.

You can't look at length alone. The thickness of the coils factor in on whether the length (number of coils/spacing) & the coil's thickness take up too much space in the pistol.

I've learned to always check that a new spring fits properly by moving the slide fully rearward, without the barrel or recoil spring/guide rod installed, on the frame. Then pencil mark a matching spot on the two, slide & frame.

Now completely assemble everything with the new spring installed & see if the pencil marks still align with the slide fully rearward. You may also hear/feel a "dull" impact versus a sharp one if it stops before the mark.

Since you don't recall all the specifics to this single failure it might be worth more testing & better observations on what happens. See if you can repeat it. If not don't worry anymore about it. Things aren't perfect, stuff happens.

I put the recoil spring in late in 2017. Bought the white-follower mags (with +10% springs) around that same time. Since then, I've probably put 200 rounds or so through the gun--Sig EP, Freedom Munitions, PPU JHP. No issues... until now.

If the gun was operating at the edge of its envelope in terms of timing (with the spring mods), maybe a slight limp-wrist, or stout load, etc. was enough to induce a failure. Honestly, I'd need to inspect the springs to see if there are perceptible differences in terms of thickness, slide travel, etc. Subjectively, it just seemed tougher to pull back.

I have the "natively sprung" yellow-follower mags that came with the gun. You think using those with a factory-weight recoil spring would be a better idea?
The Following User Likes This Post: