View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Liked 29,147 Times in 14,094 Posts

Earlier this week, I took the Bulldog to the range (as I earlier mentioned it is probably a first year production Bridgeport), and I am somewhat disappointed with it. Picture below:

1. My handloads used an X-Treme plated 240 grain lead bullet. MV was chronographed at 628 ft/sec (average). Firing over sand bags seated at a bench, I was doing well to keep most shots on the paper at 50 feet. I might have been able to keep most shots in the chest area of a man-sized target at that distance, but not much better. After that performance I didn't even bother to try grouping by firing unsupported. No idea whether the problem was with the gun or my handloads.

2. Recoil was uncomfortable and unpleasant even with that mild load. I think much of that was due to the small grips which do not fit my hand well. I am thinking about looking for a larger pair.

3. Mechanical issues. First, opening the cylinder was a little difficult, and I found that it was usually easier to do it by pulling forward on the extractor rod knob than by using the thumb latch. Ponderiing this situation, I noticed that the cylinder release screw is just that - a screw. It can be screwed in too far or not far enough. If it is screwed in too far, the spring loaded plunger cannot be moved forward enough to release the cylinder. If it is too loose the cylinder cannot be closed. This is certainly an odd design, but I don't know what can be done about it. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Second, the cylinder has just enough lateral play to slip over the cylinder stop stud on the frame. This is somewhat disconcerting, and it seems that the stud should have about twice the height that it does. This is something that I had to be very careful about when unloading as the cylinder would move over the stud. Again, has anyone else encountered the same problem?
The Following 6 Users Like Post: