View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSarge21 View Post
Hello all. I have a box of Hornady 124gr fun-rn 355771 9mm bullets I want to load up. Mixed headstamp brass, CCI 500 or Win small pistol primers, and HP-38 powder. I found load data in a Hornady Load Notes pamphlet for Win 231 with a starting load of 4.7 grains and a max of 5.3 grains. I loaded up a box of mid range loads (I hope) at 5 grains and COL of 1.150 as listed in the pamphlet for that bullet. . . .
One thing is pretty certain . . . that 5.0gr load is not a "mid-range" load. With the Hornady bullet, you have most likely created a significantly over-pressured load.

Quickload shows a pressure of 40k (35k is max) using 5gr WIN231 and the Hornady bullet at a COL of 1.150". That's certainly enough info for me not to START loading there.

QL also shows a pressure of "only" 34k when substituting the Sierra 125gr FMJRN at COL 1.150. This is probably because the Hornady bullet is significantly LONGER (+0.04") than the Sierra bullet. This is a significant reduction in case volume, increasing pressure.

It also explains why Sierra's test data allows higher Win231 charges than Hornady or Hodgdon.

QL is not perfect, and neither is the data found in load manuals. But given the data, I'd strongly suggest using the data on Hodgdon's on line site.

If you have a reliable chrono, you might find yourself in the higher end of Hodgdon data to create a mid-range load. That's been my experience, especailly with a more recent batch of HP38. But not at 5.0gr with that bullet.
The Following User Likes This Post: