View Single Post

Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,138 Times in 1,995 Posts
Default Same Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngross View Post
Years ago I bought a Kel-Tec P32 when they first came out. Being left handed I carried it in my left front pocket with a cheap Uncle Mike's holster. This resulted in the mag release button facing outward.

At the time my job was physical, lifting boxes, bending down, climbing ladders, etc. On a couple of occasions when I got home and removed the gun from my pocket, the mag had become unseated. My guess would be something hit or put pressure on my leg right where the gun was and contacted the mag release button. I wound up giving the gun to my brother-in-law and went back to a J Frame.

Fast forward to now, and I've decided to try an auto for pocket carry again. So I bought a Glock 42 and a Ruger LCP II. The Glock has a reversible mag release but the Ruger doesn't, so I'll start with the Ruger.

First, I guess it would be advisable to avoid the thin, cheap $10 holsters?

Second. I'm considering the Desantis Super Fly which comes with a removable pad to further conceal the outline of the gun/holster in your pocket (see picture below) to make it look more squarish like a wallet. I'm thinking the pad combined with the holster itself covering the mag button would require considerable pressure to unseat the magazine?

And finally, I have zero experience with Kydex, but would the hard plastic(?) material better protect the mag button from accidental release if pressure is applied in that area?

Other thoughts/options are welcome, but I don't want to do any modification to the gun (such as grinding down the mag button).

Thank you.

EDIT ADDED: The gun won't be worn during physical activity. Just normal everyday activity. Going out to eat, grocery shopping, getting in and out of the car, etc.
Years ago, I bought a KELTEC P-32 and experienced the exact same thing with the magazine being released while carrying in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I'm also left handed.

I solved this problem by filing down the magazine release button to the point it didn't protrude where it could be easily bumped. I have since carried it for many years and never experienced an unwanted magazine release.

KELTEC P-32 in Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster (with modified magazine release)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
SWCA #3279
The Following 2 Users Like Post: