View Single Post

Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Liked 725 Times in 258 Posts

I agree with the perspective that simply stitching an Avenger body to a twin slotted backing plate would yield a Avenger-Baker mongrel having excessive thickness on the backside. Avoiding such redundancy is one of the many attributes contributing to the uniqueness of your “Maltese Falcon” and “Beat the Devil” designs. Incorporating the cylinder recess into the revolver “notapancake” design simply confirms a “function first” approach.

My approach to the Avengercake, isn’t that sophisticated: There is not a separate backing plate. Simply extend, and reinforce a forward wing (or flange), as illustrated in the attached photos of an IWB, nylon clip version. It is the same basic approach used on the previously mentioned OWB design. I am fairly well researched and haven’t been able to identify any “prior art” using this particular construction technique for merging the Avenger body with the forward wing of the pancake. That’s not to say that the late G. Wm. Davis did not know something that I don’t. Perhaps a “holstorian” would be able to verify. ;-)

I understand what you are saying about “copyists”. Copying, unfortunately, is inherent in the nature of humans. Yet, I think it fair to postulate that “leaders” look to the works of others for “inspiration”, while “followers” are content with “imitation”. It will be interesting to see if other members can share examples of Avenger - Baker hybrids.