View Single Post

Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 AM

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I'm surprised to keep hearing this on an AR forum. Zeroing at 50 yards is very common in the AR world.

The normal scope height (height over bore) for an AR is 2.75". This means that if they're both parallel, the bullet will impact ~2.75" (bullet drop is negligible at this distance) high at 50 yards. That's only 5.5MOA. For most scopes that's only 10-11 clicks, he has 28 available from the middle point. So, not really that much adjustment.
I guess most of you missed the part according to the OP's post he is attempting to BORE sight with a laser at 50 yards not shooting at 50 yards. Big difference It would certainly be much easier to see a laser dot and adjust to it at 25 or even closer maybe even 20 t0 30 feet I prefer to do it inside my house... If his laser is way out of calibration the farther out you get the farther off it will be plus at 50 yards a lot of the laser bore sighters can not even be seen...

Once on the spot take it to the range and shoot and adjust. Like you said it is not rocket science... If you and the firearms are up to the task it should only take 3 rounds to verify at 50... I would then fine tune it at 100 or 200 or whatever you want your final zero to be...